Monday, January 17, 2011

Yin

"In yin, we prepare the sacred spaces in our bodies so that we can create sacred shapes in our bodies and in our lives. Yin is preparation. Yang is creation. Both are integral for a full life!" (I got this awesome quote from one of my sister's best friends who is a yoga instructor.)

Thanks to my weekly yin yoga class, I can look forward to Monday nights. Seventy-five minutes of me-time in long, deep stretches, each held for at least 5-7 minutes. It can be uncomfortable like pigeon (I have a bad right knee); sometimes excruciatingly painful like toe stretch; others peaceful like caterpillar; but one is totally healing - my favorite, melting heart. And especially tonight after several days of a tight and tense upper back. I could feel my connective tissues sighing in relief and gratitude.

My heart is also grateful for this time to metaphorically melt, heal and prepare itself; to make space for the More that is to come, whatever or whoever that might be. (Yes, we had a bit of PH101/102 talk after class. Thanks, C and D!)

Namaste.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you have yin as part of your yoga practice! I love the choice of words "sacred spaces". :) By the way... do you practice any modification for pigeon? A pose that works the same body parts but safer for your knee?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried Swan at Monday night's Yin class and it felt much better. A towel under my hip also works. :-) But yes, my hips are painfully tight, especially my right one. :-\

    ReplyDelete