Saturday, January 8, 2011

Gezelligheid

From Wikipedia: Gezelligheid (Dutch pronunciation: [ɣə'zɛləɣɦɛit]) is a Dutch abstract noun (adjective form gezellig) which, depending on context, can be translated as convivial, cosy, fun, quaint, or nice atmosphere, but can also connote belonging, time spent with loved ones, the fact of seeing a friend after a long absence, or general togetherness. The word is considered to be an example of untranslatability, and is one of the hardest words to translate to English.[1] Some consider the word to encompass the heart of Dutch culture.[2]  

I first heard this word from a friend who had a Dutch best friend. I confirmed the spelling and meaning with two Dutch friends of C we met tonight. Considering it was our first meeting, I believe I saw glimpses of gezelligheid, especially since we all did the Chicken Dance with gusto after fun random conversations about old TV shows and bad vacations (oh, and after two jugs of margaritas too!). Earlier today, the reunion with old friends C, A and B over lunch and walks down Haji Lane and the Kampong Glam area was also very gezellig. It is such a blessing that I could be myself in the company of both friends and strangers.

I also miss the gezelligheid of being at home - especially now that my family is remembering my dad's eldest brother (may he rest in peace). I miss sitting around the table talking about trivial things, eating or just hanging out. Our recent road trip was also priceless family time.

One of the Dutch guys asked what our resolutions were. I said: to write more. I should also add: to have more gezellig moments.





















































































No comments:

Post a Comment