Monday, January 31, 2011

Control

It's beyond my control if others don't meet their deadlines, but I know I've done my work well. I can't get the approval of everybody, but that's okay as long as I know I was on my best behavior and used my best judgment. I can't control how strong the rain pours but I can decide to wake up earlier than usual and take the train to work. I need to choose my battles, and let go of the ones I can't control.

A colleague was telling me about the book Learned Optimism and she shared how it helped her through the toughest time in her life. The book helped her to ask two simple questions: Is it permanent? Is it within you control? If the answers are "no" to both, then it really shouldn't rob us of sleep or happiness (which is easier said than done, but it can be done).

I realize the idealistic control-freak in me still has a lot to learn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment