Thursday, January 20, 2011

Consolidate

Most of my day was spent consolidating bits of information from multiple sources and several documents into one revised, almost-final version. But just when I thought I had all the info I needed, another question would prop up and I had to send yet another email or make another calculation. Wouldn't things be so much quicker and easier if only I had all the answers? If I had all the pieces I needed?

It's the Perfectionist in me and yes, I do recognize that it is one of my derailers. I still need to get better at letting go and asking for help. So it is at work... and with life outside of the office as well.

To consolidate is "to bring together separate parts into a single or unified whole; unite; combine." But it is also "to discard the unused or unwanted items of and organize the remaining." So if I want to feel more consolidated or more pulled-together, which pieces of me do I keep, and which do I discard? Do I need to add more pieces? With so much going on in and out of work, I need to prioritize and choose my battles. And yes, ask for help.

2 comments:

  1. Nice, Nikki! I have this book, The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women, by Gail McMeekin. The author talks about what she calls "inner saboteurs". Your question on "which pieces of me do I keep, and which do I discard?" reminded me of this. Very important question! Often times the pieces to discard are those habits that are so tough to break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely have to get rid of my inner critic! Or at least send her to her room more often.

    ReplyDelete