Saturday, April 16, 2011

Wisdom

J and I spent hours on Skype with our bestest friend T who had just said goodbye to her best friend and husband yesterday. He was called home to our Father in heaven after ten months fighting stupid cancer. For a wife's Day 1 without her other half, she was incredibly strong. Through our tears, J and I listened in utmost admiration to the wisdom of complete faith, acceptance and gratitude.

They were both ready and prepared for the worst. They didn't question why it had to happen to them. They accepted that there was a grand purpose behind it all. If it meant that people would revisit their lives and relationships with their loved ones, or work towards growing closer to God, then so be it - that was his purpose in life, he had served it, and he was ready to go.

They were also grateful for what they had: nearly 10 years of a loving relationship. They are one of my most favorite couples in the world. They were soul mates in the true sense of the word, joined at the heart and hip by faith, a wonderful sense of humor, and unconditional love. T was right: so many people search for a lifetime for what they had and she was just glad that she shared the life of a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful man. Even for a brief shining moment.

And he really was wonderful. A most authentic and amazing person. I only spent a few days every other year for the last few years with him, each time I'd visit T in Los Angeles on my way to or from Pittsburgh. But because he was my best friend's best friend, he always made me feel like I knew him so well. J and I loved him the first time we met him and we gave him the BFF seal of approval. I have fond memories of him picking me up at LAX since T was still at work, our road trips to San Diego, hanging out with my other favorite couple J and J, our random and silly YM chats. Rocking out on Garage Band. Eating at Extraordinary Desserts. And when they got together and I wasn't there, he printed a photo of me and propped me up in a manila folder so that I could "join" my girlfriends at Starbucks. And just last year: eating arroz caldo with him a few nights before their wedding, watching him gaze oh-so-lovingly and intently at his bride as she walked down the aisle and stood right by him, and hugging him goodbye with a happy heart. And a few months ago, his handwritten "We love you, `Ki" sign as I video-chatted with his wife.

As I sit here listening to the Beatles (he was a huge fan!), I can smile through the tears, grateful as well that I was able to get to know him, albeit not as much as I would have wanted to. He was a man who loved my best friend with all his heart, a friend who always made me feel the world was a happier place, a dag who always made us laugh, and a brave soul who inspire all of us to live and love like there's no tomorrow. And perhaps this is my glimpse of wisdom: in this spirit of gratitude, I will be able to make sense of the sadness, knowing that my life crossed paths with his to give me hope of true and undying love.

You will be terribly, terribly missed, dear Adrian.


When I find myself in times of trouble
Mother Mary comes to me

Speaking words of wisdom, let it be

And in my hour of darkness
She is standing right in front of me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be

Let it be, let it be
Let it be, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom
Let it be

And when the brokenhearted people
Living in the world agree
There will be an answer, let it be

For though they may be parted
There is still a chance that they will see
There will be an answer, let it be

Let it be, let it be
Let it be, let it be
Yeah, there will be an answer let it be

Let it be, let it be
Let it be, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom
Let it be

Let it be, let it be
Let it be, yeah, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom
Let it be

And when the night is cloudy
There is still a light that shines on me
Shine on until tomorrow, let it be

I wake up to the sound of music
Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be

Yeah, let it be, let it be
Let it be, yeah, let it be
There will be an answer, let it be

Let it be, let it be
Let it be, yeah, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom
Let it be


1 comment: