Sunday, February 6, 2011

Light

I started my day in our little zen garden with a bowl of strawberry yoghurt and cereal, several games of Words With Friends, and a dose of much-needed sunshine. The morning breeze helped rub the sleep away from my eyes. The fresh blue sky greeted me with a smile. It was a great way to start my Sunday, to refresh and recharge, and to jumpstart new beginnings. Now why did I never have my breakfast in my own backyard before?

"Truly the light is sweet, and a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to behold the sun." Ecclesiastes 11:7

I love my little nook but the only thing I don't like is the fact that I don't get natural light inside my studio. With or without the blinds drawn, it could be 8 a.m. or 3 p.m. and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Sunlight has gotten much bad press but it also has many healing properties as noted in this site; I want to highlight these:


  • Sunshine encourages healthy circulation. It also stimulates the production of more red blood cells which increases the amount of oxygen in your blood.
  • Sunlight is one of the most effective healing agents that exists.
  • Feeling down? One of the major benefits of sunlight is that it will soothe your nerves and boost your mood leaving you with a renewed sense of well-being. Sunlight increases the production of endorphins and serotonin in your brain which will definitely leave you feeling much better.
  • Getting enough sunlight during the day can help you sleep better at night. If you are exposed to natural light during the day, it will increase your melatonin output at night. Melatonin is a natural hormone made by our bodies. It enhances sleep and slows down the aging process.
  • The healing properties of the sun are excellent for people who are suffering from various diseases and ailments.
  • Sunlight helps to balance out your hormones. It may even help to relieve certain symptoms of PMS.

After my breakfast, I hadn't had enough so my friend E and I went for lunch at The Beach Hut at the East Coast Park. We didn't sit out in the sun but getting fresh air (versus being stuck in an airconditioned room!), seeing the water, being outdoors and talking to a dear friend really boosted up my spirits. I definitely got my much-needed dose of endorphins and serotonin. (Thanks, E!)

There were no rainclouds in sight and I felt that the sunshine stayed with me the rest of the day. My sister and I had an early dinner at Wild Honey and went to mass together (which was nice and something we should do more often). Today's message made perfect sense:

You are like light for the whole world. A city built on a hill cannot be hid. No one lights a lamp and puts it under a bowl; instead it is put on the lampstand, where it gives light for everyone in the house. In the same way, your light must shine before people, so that they will see the good things you do and praise your Father in heaven. - Matthew 5: 14-16

It was literally a lightbulb in my head, a ray of sunshine through the clouds: Whatever is inside will radiate outward. As I am the keeper of my own lamp, only I can light the candle once again... or perhaps I just need to flick a switch... or maybe it's voice-activated? 

Let there be Light!

No comments:

Post a Comment