Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Lavender

Today would have been my grandma's 92nd birthday if she was still here with us. I love how she loved all things lavender and purple, how she would sniff our cheek in place of a kiss, and how she shared and lived out the dream of writing. She was the matriarch and my dad often called her the "iron butterfly" embodying both grace and strength.

I wore my favorite purple dress today. And after offering a Mass for her, I bought myself a bottle of lavender scrub.

According to folk wisdom, lavender has many uses. Infusions of lavender soothe and heal insect bites and burns. Bunches of lavender repel insects. If applied to the temples, lavender oil soothes headaches. In pillows, lavender seeds and flowers aid sleep and relaxation. An infusion of three flowerheads added to a cup of boiling water soothes and relaxes at bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment