Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Motto

Hakuna Matata! What a wonderful phrase
Hakuna Matata! Ain't no passing craze
It means no worries for the rest of your days
It's our problem-free philosophy
Hakuna Matata!

Hakuna Matata?
Yeah. It's our motto!
What's a motto?
Nothing. What's a-motto with you?


I watched The Lion King at the Sands Theater of the Marina Bay Sands tonight, and I have to say that Rafiki, Timon and Pumbaa stole the show from the lions. C and I couldn't help but quote our favorite lines ("Pumbaa, with you, everything is gas.") in between giggles before the start of show.

The production design was awesome and it was a visual feast! I'm glad we got good seats... or so I thought. Soon after the show started, a little girl behind us started her commentary (in Singlish too!) for every single scene. She was about 6 or 7 years old and it was endearing at first, but then it got really distracting ("Mummy, is he really dead? Is he?"), then annoying especially since her parents weren't telling her to stop though many were looking at them and shushing. Sigh. Tsk, tsk, tsk. What's a-motto with you??? I couldn't help it: I had to speak to the usher during the intermission and he was good to ask them to move seats. I definitely enjoyed the second half a lot more!

I've always loved The Lion King and it speaks so much on the search for one's identity and purpose. I love hakuna matata but I think I'm a worrywart at heart and can't have that as my life's motto. Reading through the long list of memorable lines from the movie, I'd choose something Rafiki said to the adult Simba as my mottoOh yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it, or... learn from it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment