Sunday, March 27, 2011

Chicken

After yesterday's sinigang, I suddenly had a burst of this strange I-want-to-cook energy. Despite the sniffles and the sore throat, I decided to make myself some chicken soup with lots of fresh vegetables.

I bought a whole chicken from the chiller at the nearby grocery and lots of veggies: carrots, leafy greens, celery, white onions, ginger. I could already taste the soothing broth. It would be fairly easy: just boil the chicken with the onions and ginger, and once it's cooked, just dump in the vegetables for a few minutes.

Except of course before I could boil the chicken, I had to spend some time cleaning it... and removing the head and feet that were tucked inside its cavity! Eeeww. I got a bit of a shock - I was expecting a fully dressed chicken. It was my first time to cut up a chicken's head and feet, and it's not exactly my most favorite thing to do. The chicken was also a bit fatty so I removed a lot of the skin and the fat underneath. I didn't want all that guck floating in my soup and blocking my arteries. After cutting it up into the main parts, I had the water boiling and the soup simmering in no time.

The hard work paid off: as a bonus, I even had leftover boiled chicken breast which I made into chicken mayo for breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment